Director Software Development
Our client who is in the financial industry, is looking for an experienced and dynamic leader to drive innovation and deliver mission critical enterprise application software and services that significantly impact the entire company. The ideal candidate will bring strong leadership, management, and technology skills, along with a history of success in high-growth companies developing enterprise software. Essential to the success of this leader will be the ability to lead a team and deliver on deeply technical product road maps.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Manage, mentor and coach individual contributors, hiring and retaining A-level talent. Develop the team’s domain expertise, technical proficiency, and professional growth to maintain the highest level of engineering standards.
- Provide leadership, direction, and oversight (onshore and offshore) to execute on product strategy and direction throughout the complete software development lifecycle.
- Develop a progressive engineering culture that fosters creativity, collaboration, and continuous learning/growth mindset.
- Work with product management, platform architecture and other engineering managers to shape vision for the next generation of our services and technical platforms.
- Provide strategic leadership and hands-on technical oversight to the engineering team, with a customer first and data-driven mindset.
- Enable service operational aspects with engineering teams to ensure scalability, performance, resiliency, availability, and maintainability; to ensure the best customer experience as well as employee quality of life.
- Deliver road map and customer success operational updates using actionable metrics to highlight execution progress and impediments. Own business outcomes.
- Ensure a consistency of technology design and practices used across development teams
- Contribute to the technology strategy, architectural vision, integration, and problem solving on an enterprise level to cultivate and drive innovative software solutions across the organization.
- Proactively learn about new product features of our purchased software platforms and custom development technologies to better support our customers.
- Collaborate with key business stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of solutions that support the strategic organizational needs
- Responsible for helping to drive a culture of continuous improvement.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- 5+ years of managerial experience
- 5+ years’ in a software development discipline, delivering solutions with increasing scope of responsibilities. Proven track record of executing projects with major business impacts.
- Passionate about integration and platforms with a strong desire for market leadership and constantly disrupting ourselves.
- Proven experience leading high performance, distributed engineering teams. Technical knowledge to provide credible hands-on management to highly qualified engineers.
- Hands on experience in application development, CI/CD, DevOps principles, framework, and tools to simplify development via agile methodologies. Knack for delivering business value iteratively to customers in a continuous fashion.
- Unafraid to try new technologies, arbitrate complex technical discussions, and make challenging decisions.
- Great written and verbal communication skills, including ability to present ideas to technical and business, and at the executive, customer, company, and team-level.
- A self-starter who can thrive in ambiguity and builds trusted relationships. Has a “can do” attitude and entrepreneurial resourcefulness in getting things done for multi-constituent stakeholders in a fast-paced environment of continuous change and improvement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to think tactically and strategically
- Able to think in terms of functional sustainability rather than just short-term wins
- Ability to select and assess first-line managers and empower them
- Coaching direct reports and mentoring others
- Ability to lead team learning events
- Ability to anticipate and avoid operational problems
- Ability to make and communicate hard decisions and courage to stay the course
- Ability to lead and manage change
- Setting standards for management performance
- Confident in a leadership role. Respectful of others, accepting, and leads with a We Care attitude
- Articulate communicator and effective listener at all layers
- Cross-functional team building. Build relationships to improve results
- Understands the greater good. Ability to develop win/win solutions
- Intellectual curiosity, with an open-mind and tolerant of difference
- Willingness to experiment and try new methods
- Experience in implementing innovation without disruption
- Process improvement skills
- Ability to disseminate and enforce best practices and policy
- Balanced judgement of impact and cost of programs
- Ability to drive a culture of continuous improvement.