The Sanitation Manager designs, directs and manages the Sanitation program in accordance with company policies and government regulations to maintain a sanitary environment and the manufacture of the highest quality products. The Sanitation Manager oversees day-to-day operations of the Sanitation Department and must work in collaboration with other department managers to ensure that established procedures are being adhered to. The Sanitation Manager must proactively oversee equipment sanitation procedures; ensure that safe work practices are enforced and that all current Food Safety Standards are being met throughout the site.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain the company’s new and existing equipment cleaning SOP’s.
- Provide coaching and training for direct reports to ensure good understanding of the company’s SSOP, Quality, SQF, Food Safety, and employee safety programs and standards.
- Maintain entire facility in an Audit Ready status at all times for any Third-Party audits, or regulatory inspections.
- Responsible for implementing strategies to improve safety, increase efficiency, improve quality and ensure continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement productivity strategies that effectively lower controllable costs of sanitation labor and operating supplies, while driving sanitation standard improvements.
- Manage all chemical and sanitation supply usage and inventories and weekly reporting.
- Work in conjunction with chemical supplier to ensure proper usage of all chemicals.
- Hold the sanitation team accountable to expectations and take action when warranted.
- Set expectations and monitor performance of direct reports.
- Responsible for scheduling and prioritization of sanitation employee assignments to insure the timely completion of work and defined programs.
- Lead and oversee the development, implementation, review and maintenance of the firm’s SSOP program.
- Work with the philosophy of continuous improvement.
- Lead resolution of micro deficiencies (Environmental Monitoring Program)
- Ability to troubleshoot sanitation deficiencies and correct concerns in an appropriate and timely fashion.
- Identify gaps/opportunities for improvements specific to food safety and quality (i.e. sanitary equipment design).
- Set goals for sanitation specific to QA (pre-op and micro) and monitor performance
- Manage the execution of the master sanitation schedule
- Demonstrate and practice excellent communication skills with all other department and facility managers.
- Monitor SSOP, pre-op, and Environmental Monitoring Program; report on trends and take action when warranted.
- Maintain good relations with USDA inspectors.
- Initiate sanitation Food Safety and Employee Safety training upon employee hiring and monitor for effectiveness, retraining as necessary.
- Encourage safety by insisting on a clean safe working environment, and that all employees are following prescribed safety procedures, including personal protective equipment and LOTO.
- Follow established programs, policies, and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Informs Management of any food safety or quality issues or of any processes which have become non-compliant with specified requirements.
- Familiar with, follow and enforce company policies and procedures.
- Schedule and conduct supervisor’s and Technicians annual reviews in a timely manner.
- Administer disciplinary action as required up to and including termination.
- Manage projects, meeting timelines to produce required results.
- Clearly defines short- and long-term goals to Sanitation team.
- In the absence of the Sanitation Manager, their responsibilities will be filled by a Sanitation Supervisor or designate.
- 5+ years of food processing sanitation management or equivalent experience in quality assurance or food safety leadership.
- Employee safety training experience/knowledge required.
- Familiarity with Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Experience leading and following Safety/Security Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to follow all Sanitation and Quality Policies and Procedures, and report and follow through on any deficiencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and computer-based applications.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in organization and prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Strong team player and leader with the ability to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Ability to select, coach, develop, engage, and retain a team of employees.
- Ability to deal with people at all organizational levels and good analytical, organizational, planning, and oral and written communications skills are required
Job Status: Full Time