SQL Server DBA
The mission of the Enterprise Data and Analytics team is to design, build, and maintain data and reporting technologies that enable the firm to quickly and efficiently query and use management information, business intelligence, and various forms of data. The Data Solution Engineer enables this mission by designing, developing and managing key business databases and integrations using SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services and SQL Server Reporting. This role requires an excellent understanding of the business of law, database administration, data integrations, and solutions to data-related issues.
Data Solutions Engineering and Database Administration
- Work within the existing DBA team to provide standard DBA functions to manage the global SQL Server Infrastructure, Power BI Server administration and Azure platform.
- Act as global lead for database issues, instructing IT staff world-wide and assisting where relevant, to meet local needs.
- Assist in translating business needs and architectural requirements into commensurate database requirements.
- Develop database build and deploy standard operating procedures and runbook materials.
- Deploy, maintain and support reliable, secure and scalable bespoke databases, SSIS Packages, Analytics and SSRS reporting.
- Undertake ETL operations to accurately import, convert and extract bulk data and documents from existing and new applications.
- Assist in-house developers and external vendors with "best-practice" use of the database, Power BI and Azure platform for releases and database features.
- Manage and monitor the Development and UAT environments to ensure consistency and reset upon agreed change periods.
- Ensure database security standards and best practices are monitored and enforced; support auditing needs.
- Perform/support DMS and datacenter database migrations.
- Manage standards and tools around database estate capacity and performance management, ensuring efficient use of hardware and license resources.
- Participate in team activities to design and maintain global data warehouse and relevant data cubes.
- Perform license and vendor management as appropriate for the database estate, collaborating with other license and vendor management stakeholders as required.
- Support business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
Database Performance and Availability
- Maintain the SQL Database, Power BI Server and Azure platform, ensuring that upgrades and patches are applied appropriately and EOSL versions deprecated as relevant.
- Monitor the enterprise database estate/SQL environment for performance, availability and errors.
- Troubleshoot the global database estate as necessary to optimize databases and the SQL server environment while ensuring high-availability and performance.
- Improve operational stability across the global database estate whilst reducing the costs and overhead associated with deployment, maintenance and support.
- Provide proactive event management processes to ensure all issues are escalated as appropriate and within a timely fashion.
- Support day-to-day requests for backups, system recoveries, database configurations, and performance investigations.
- Assist the IT service desk and act as point of escalation, if required, for support calls that may involve database platform issues.
Collaboration and Project Support
- Facilitate discussions within and outside IT to ensure database administration technologies and processes are correctly integrated across business programs.
- Write reports & dashboards for IT and business consumption as related to administration of the database estate.
- Support project governance activities as required to ensure database engineering and administration principles continue to be integrated correctly as projects progress.
- Act as team representative in various meetings and collaboration activities, include project planning meetings, Technical Advisory Boards, and other meetings where data solutions engineering and database administration expertise is required.
- 8+ years in relevant data technology roles, such as system or solutions developer.
- Diploma or degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field preferred; relevant education and experience in other disciplines are also considered.
- Is SME on multiple systems / areas and has a detailed understanding of how systems interact. Develops innovative solutions to unique problems.
- Designs and recommends best solution that take into account EA framework guidelines, business requirements, cost, risks, time to implement, technology options, POC results, usability. Able to influence and negotiate.
- SME with at least 3 technologies below.
- Data standards
- Global data design patterns
- Database deployment
- Performance management, tuning, installation, and configuration
- SQL database systems/database security
- SQL queries, stored procedures, analytics SSIS, SSRS
- SQL Unit Testing and automated testing
- Delivering bespoke application solutions in an end-user organization providing B2B services
- Implementing and supporting SQL Clusters and other HA/DR solutions
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery environment
- Core Microsoft applications
- MS SQL Server/DBA/Development - 2008 and newer
- SQL Clusters and other HA/DR solutions
- Microsoft Data Tools
- Team Foundation Server (TFS)
- Data management tools (backups, archiving, monitoring)
- Document management systems
- Practice management systems
- Business process systems